Meeting with an Admissions Counselor can be downright terrifying if you are seriously considering submitting your college application. Listed below are 25 questions to ask your Admissions Counselor while visiting a college campus. Bring this list of prepared questions and keep a notepad handy for recording the answers.
25 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR
100 QUESTIONS TO ASK DURING COLLEGE VISITS: PART 3 of 4
Admissions Counselors have many responsibilities. Their primary role is to communicate with prospective students and parents about admissions requirements and procedures. They also attend education fairs, host information sessions, and some even serve on the admissions committee. It is highly recommended that you schedule a meeting with an Admissions Counselor during your college visit. Meeting with an Admissions Counselor is advantageous because you may unearth details or questions you had not previously considered. A word of caution, if you are seriously considering submitting your college application to this particular college, meeting with an Admissions Counselor can be nerve-wracking. That’s why we developed this list of 25 questions. Bring this list of prepared questions on your college visit and keep a notepad handy for recording the answers. It will prepare you and keep you on task during your meeting.
1. What documents are required to apply to this college?
2. What is the return rate for upper classmen?
3. Will I be able to participate in your research facilities?
4. What extracurricular activities are offered here?
5. How many and what types of clubs are available to freshman?
6. How active is Greek life on campus? How many sororities and fraternities are here?
7. Are there restrictions for freshman? For example, some colleges require freshman to live in the dormitory.
8. How are roommates chosen?
9. How accessible is campus security? Do you have escorts that will accompany me after dark to/from my dorm?
10. Do you accommodate students with disabilities? Are campus buildings handicapped accessible?
11. What differentiates your college from others?
12. Do you recalculate my grade point average for the admission process?
13. Is my class rank a determining factor for my admission?
14. Are standardized exam scores considered for admission? If so, what were the averages for the freshman class?
15. How do you award scholarships and financial aid?
16. How many hours of study per credit hour are recommended?
17. Is tutoring available?
18. Do professors provide generous office hours for students? Are they accessible to the students?
19. What college majors are you known for?
20. What types of qualities do you look for in potential students?
21. What percentage of freshman drop out during/after the first year?
22. Is there an orientation program for incoming freshman, if so what does it entail?
23. What advice do you give to incoming freshman?
24. What do students love most about this college?
25. What health services are offered to students? Is there a pharmacy on campus?
If you’re serious about applying to a college after meeting with an Admissions Counselor, follow-up with a hand-written thank you note or email after your college visit. A well-written thank you note provides the college with a favorable impression. Also, before planning your college visit consider taking a virtual campus tour. For a list of websites providing virtual campus tours, visit College Pencilpedia. For more great tips and a step-by-step approach for planning your college visits, purchase “The Ultimate College Application Guide” on Amazon today. Safe travels!